Friday, November 23, 2007

Reader Q&A

From: Karen
Subject: question about real tree

Can you spray a real tree with the white snow so that you can have a white tree?

Answer: I'm not sure what "white snow" you are referring to. Many retail locations offer a service called flocking, which applies a substance to the tree making it look like it's covered in snow.







From: mbburger
Subject: Where to donate artificial tree?

We have an artificial tree that is 7.5 feet tall and we are looking to donate. We hope you will be able to help us. The tree is in good shape. We have decided that it is just too tall for our house.

Answer: Unfortunately, because it's made of non-biodegradable materials, it can't be recycled. Maybe a church or homeless shelter would want it?





From: Scott Johnson
Subject: Blog Talk Ideas!

I have an idea for a christmas tree spray, but I have a few questions. I need a clear, non-flammable, non-UV protecting liquid to add to my medium before spryaing on the Christmas tree. I'm flirting with the idea of a clear liquid wax. I'm worried about tree lights melting the wax. Does anyone have any ideas? I wish I could go into more detail about the medium I intend to use but I'm hoping to corner a new market of tree design/decor. The medium I intend to use, a dry powder, needs to be placed in a heavy duty suspension liquid that will stick to Christmas Tree needles, without creating a fire or melting hazard, and that also allows light to penetrate into the medium.

Answer: That's a really bad idea Scotty. Almost all trees harvested between now and Christmas are in a state of dormancy, meaning they have stopped conducting photosyntheseis and moving water molecules and nutrients up through their system. When a harvested tree is brought into a home, the statis is loosened, water evaporates out through thte needles through a process called transpiration, and it sucks up water to replace that lost. When the foliage is sealed with a substance, this process is inhibited, meaning it won't draw up more water. Trees that absorb water are the most flame resistant. Please follow the recommended care tips that are based on controlled scientific studies. Studies have shown that anti-transpirant agents result in a tree becoming dried out quicker.




From: Robinlynng
Subject: Blog Talk Ideas

I grew up with cedar christmas trees in the rural central Missouri area, but not sure of the species of cedar. I'm hoping to find an artificial cedar tree for Christmas now and CAN NOT anywhere. I've found a few smaller potted trees that might work if I can't find anything else. But the ones we had were usually too large around. So sorta apple or pear-shaped, not triangular. They had a great aroma, sticky and messy to clean up. They were not the hickory cedar or California cedar. Any ideas?

Answer: An artificial cedar tree? Ummm, can't help you there. If you're looking for a farm-grown cedar tree, you can search by species on our main search page.