If you've been reading this blog for a while, you've probably heard us mention the Trees for Troops program from time to time. Created by the Christmas SPIRIT Foundation, the 501(c)(3) charitable branch of NCTA, the Trees for Troops program has delivered more than 50,000 Real Christmas Trees to military families across the nation and around the world.
The program is gearing up for its fifth year, with a goal of delivering 15,000 trees to more than 50 military bases. You can learn more about the program by visiting http://www.treesfortroops.org/, but I wanted to point out a few quick ways you can get involved this year.
1) Make a donation to the Christmas SPIRIT Foundation. This is probably the quickest and easiest way to show your support -- just visit http://www.christmasspiritfoundation.org/.
2) Purchase a tree at a participating farm or lot during Trees for Troops Weekend - Dec. 4-6, 2009. Find a location near you at www.christmastree.org/trailerdrop.pdf. (Hint: you may not have to wait until T4T Weekend -- some of the locations are taking pre-orders -- call the farm/lot to check.)
3) Host or attend a "TweetUp4Troops" event in your area. This year, individuals and groups across the nation will be hosting local grassroots fundraising events during Veteran's Day Week - and it's not too late to join them. Learn more at http://www.tweetup4troops.org/.
4) Purchase a T4T commemorative ornament. For $30 (plus S&H), you can purchase a commemorative pewter ornament, with proceeds benefiting the Trees for Troops program. With a $50 donation, an additional ornament will be sent to a deserving military family.
5) Purchase Trees for Troops apparel. Through a special offer from Greater than Goods, $5 from each item purchased will be donated to the program.
6) Leave a message for the troops. Show your support at http://www.treesfortroops.org/.
Thank you to everyone for your support of the program!