Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Reader Q&A

From: jhanson
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Subject: Tree Watering Question

Whoops -- I inadvertently let the water level drop below the trunk of my fresh-cut tree. The bottom felt moist -- very sticky and sappy. What can I do to give my tree the best chance of continuing to take water?

Answer: Having the cut surface exposed to air for a long period of time greatly reduces the tree's ability to absorb and move water molecules through its system, but it doesn't completely eliminate it. Much like a cut flower, the only effective solution if you think that's happened is to make a fresh cut to reopen the plant tissue which absorbs water.

Again, though, the rate of water level in the stand going up and down will fluctuate naturally. I put my tree up Friday night and within 2 hours it had absorbed about 3 qts of water, then it slowed down and I didn't fill the stand again until almost 48 hours later.



From: Steven
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Ok so I'm very curious why when you click on the image of the White House Christmas Tree here it is shown side ways pointing to the "right"? Perhaps a political comment considering the current occupant? :-)

Answer: LOL...interesting observation. And I thought I was a conspiracy theorist...

Nope, just a case of the graphical image not being edited before put on that page. Once it's flipped around it will be non-ideological again.

....can a tree be ideological?....